[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #191

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Fri May 1 09:43:59 EDT 1998

'John Campbell' said previously:

| 	I think not. I've got a fully functional Linux system here doing RC5
| in 5M of drive.

If you grab an older kernel (eg. 1.2.x), you could get by with 2MB of
RAM and a 1.44MB floppy (although buffer writes will be pretty slow to
the floppy unless you mount a volume via NFS).

I used to boot Linux from floppy on some old 386sx16's on campus that
had this configuration, and then for the "really big binaries"
(/usr/bin/vi), I would NFS mount those over my modem link from home.

(Ok, so vi took about 45 seconds to come up -- wasn't too much
different than the campus' multiuser AT&T SysV box 'camelot', which was
a dual 486-33 with over 100 users on it at a time doing nothing but
sending tons of worthless email to each other. :-)

These sites cover "tiny" linux installations:

--> http://home.sol.no/~okolaas/hal91.html
--> http://www.lizard.org/dragonlinux/

Also related is the "Diskless HOWTO", if you want to try the boot-ROM
idea:

--> http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Diskless.html

Probably the largest advantage the Linux RC5 client will have over the
Win3.1 client or other clients is better performance *between* blocks.
Since these machines will be woefully underpowered for any sort of
filesystem activity, the ability to use a multithreaded client (which
takes all buffer activity and fetch/flush activity out of the critical
cracking path) and the ability to adjust disk buffering based on demand
will give Linux an edge in these tight spaces where speed of cracking
is everything.

Does anyone smell a platform war coming on?  I hope not....

Enjoy,

--Joe

--
  +------- Joseph Zbiciak ------+
  |- - - j-zbiciak1 at ti.com - - -|   without you, everything falls apart
  | -Texas Instruments, Dallas- |   without you, it's not as much fun
  |- - #include <disclaim.h> - -|   - NIN -      to pick up the pieces.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net