[RC5] Win95 GUI lurk?

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Fri May 1 18:23:17 EDT 1998

     Well, in one of the latest Win95 GUI clients (2.7016.400), the
     process is:
     File|Enter Configuration...
     Connection
     Then pick one of Modem Dialup Lurk or Modem Dialup Lurk-Only.  The
     first will attempt to auto-dial the modem if the buffers need to be
     fetched/flushed.  The second will only piggyback data on a dial-up
     session that is initiated elsewhere.

     If you don't want the machine just dialing up whenever RC5 wants to
     do so, then you should pick lurk-only.  If the roommate doesn't care
     if the machine dials at "weird" times, then lurk will be sufficient.

     This assumes that the roommate will have an active dial-up ISP over
     the summer.  If this is not the case, then you *might* be able to
     convince the great Cow to assign your friend a hunk of the next
     56-bit strip to turn in when the summer is over.  In this latter
     case, the setting to pick on the Connection tab is "off-line
     always".  Then the client will never try to make a network
     connection.  Instead, it will just immediately generate a random
     block (since the buff-in is empty).
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu