[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #191

Karl G - NOC Admin ovrneith at tqgnet.com
Sat May 2 03:18:55 EDT 1998

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Brice D. Fleckenstein wrote:

> > My preferred o/s is Linux but I might consider DOS.
>
>  DOS client running under WFWg 3.11 in a DOS box can be set up to run
> almost exactly as fast as the LINUX client - and that setup only needs
> 20-30 Megs or so of HD, where the LINUX setup needs noticeably more (60
> Megs min at a guess, and more as the various system logs start adding
> up).

er... not really.  you can run unlimited amounts of linux boxes booted off
a network worth symlinks.  so, technically, the more box's you run, the
less /copy it takes to run.  to get a workable boot server up, you only
really need packages A, AP and N.  As far as speed.... linux will handle
much better than dos ever could...  as i've said before... i've got 2
P200MMX's running side by side... one has 80+ user worth of processes
running 27/7 and i still get a 16% higher key-rate than a single user
microsoft box.  and not to mention the zero-admin abilities that linux
provides over DOS. (ie.  telnet?)

  Karl Grindley
  Network Administrator
  TQG Internet Network