[RC5] Win95 GUI lurk?

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Sun May 3 13:18:51 EDT 1998

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Dan Petrak wrote:

> > generating a random block during that time.  When you've calculated all
> > this, add a bunch anyway because random blocks have a high probability
> > of being duplicated work.  If you want, you could increase the blocksize
>
> Given the small percentage of keyspace exhausted so far, I don't think
> random blocks are going to have a "high probability" of duping.

Actually they do.
We work the 64but keyspace by seperately checking 256 independent
56-bit spaces. The even stripes (0x64, 0x66, 0x68 so far) are the
ones from which the keyservers have handed out blocks.
The odd ones (0x65, 0x67, 0x69) are the ones the clients are doing
the duplicate ones. They know what stripe to use by the .ini setting
"randomprefix" (which is 104 on my machine right now).
Since 104 (dec) is 0x68 I guess the client sort of "knows" that they
should be doing random blocks in the (0x64+1) stripe.

Oh, one last thing: The clients adjust the "randomprefix" variabele
itself, do not change it by hand.

To get back to your original comment: We do a stripe in under 6 weeks
at our current rate. Get offline for more the 6 weeks, the current
stripes will be closed and when you flush after, say, 10 weeks, we
almost have completed the next stripe already!

Greetings, Ivo

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net