[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #192

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Mon May 4 02:12:22 EDT 1998

'Brice D. Fleckenstein' said previously:

|  Correction to my earlier post - I just managed a minimal LINUX/RC5
| install in just under 20 megs, though the logs may STILL put it over
| that point.

If you're not interested in logs at all, you can set up /etc/syslog.conf
to throw everything away.  That'll get rid of most log messages.  (Heck,
you could even kill syslogd and be done with it.)

Then you only need to be wary of other programs which don't use syslog
for logging (I think some crons do) and configure them to not log.  Then
logfiles are not a concern.

Alternately, you can set up a cron job (most *nixes have them already,
include Linux) that rotates the logs, perhaps compressing or deleting
old logs.  That way you reach a stable disk-usage level after a couple
days, rather than having a monotonically increasing amount of disk use.

Regards,

--Joe

--
  +------- Joseph Zbiciak ------+
  |- - - j-zbiciak1 at ti.com - - -|   without you, everything falls apart
  | -Texas Instruments, Dallas- |   without you, it's not as much fun
  |- - #include <disclaim.h> - -|   - NIN -      to pick up the pieces.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net