[RC5] Rack stuffed full of motherboards (follow-up)

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon May 4 10:30:00 EDT 1998

     I've gotten this response a couple of times, but...

     Okay, I don't remember ever seeing 72-pin SIMMs as small as 2MB, but
     you can still get 30-pin SIMMs smaller than that.
     MicroWarehouse (to pick the catalog off the top of the stack) lists
        30-pin FPM parity, 1MB 60ns or 70ns                $14.95

     RAMJET (www.ramjet.com) lists
        30-pin, 2k refresh, non-composite 1MB (1x9), 60ns  $11
        30-pin, 2k refresh, non-composite 1MB (1x3), 60ns  $ 7

     TechWorks (www.techworks.com) lists
        30-pin, 1MB (1x8) 60ns or 70ns (1kN, 50T)          $ 5

     Price Watch (www.pricewatch.com) has them down to $3 (+$6.50
     shipping).  Of course, one should price shipping when talking about
     Price Watch.

     So it looks like it'd be cheaper to get the four 1MB SIMMs to
     populate an *old* P5 motherboard than to get a pair of 4MB 72-pin
     SIMMs (by perusing the abovementioned sites).

     Thus, the "only difficulty" is digging up old P5/30-pin mobos.