[RC5] Rack stuffed full of motherboards (follow-up)

Toomas Aas toomas at raad.tartu.ee
Mon May 4 20:11:10 EDT 1998

>       I would  *suspect* that 2MB is sufficient for DOS4GW and RC5DESD (although I
>      haven't much of an idea on how to test this with the hardware I
>      have).

My 386sx/25 with 2MB runs rd5desd build 399 just fine with rc5. But I
remember it complaining at the time of DES contest about 'not enough
memory' - with whichever build of the client was 'current' at that
time. I couldn't force it do DES and was pleasantly surprised after
the end of DES-II-1 that it still could do RC5. At first I thought
that 2.7x clients in general have bigger memory requirements than
2.6x, because I had used 2.6401...2.6403 successfully on that
machine. But it seems that it's just DES that this old box can't do.

Does DES core use more memory than RC5? What is the minimum required?

Toomas.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net