[RC5] Hiding the NT service client

C Lamothe clamothe at ameritech.net
Tue May 5 07:39:23 EDT 1998

I have the opportunity to clandestinely install the NT service client on
several machines that are not actively administered.  Using one of my
e-mail aliases, I can sufficiently conceal my identity (however a
determined person could find my personal proxy).

Is there a method of hiding the client from appearing on the task manager
process list?

So far I have come up with the following:

1) Bury the client in the windows dir - no logs, no check file
2) Rename the client to screensav.exe, NTservice.exe, NTidle.exe or
something similar for the process list.
3) Hex edit the exe to change the name of the service from "Distributed.Net
RC5/DES Service Client" to "NT Service Client"

but the best way would be not to have the client show in the process list
at all.

any suggestions?

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net