[RC5] NT GUI and Dialer

Stuart Millington news at wormhole.demon.co.uk
Tue May 5 22:08:08 EDT 1998

On Mon, 04 May 1998 08:03:23 -0500, you wrote:

>I just migrated to NT and have the latest NT GUI running.  Want I
>want to find and get set up is a way to automate dialing.  When the
>client needs to fetch and flush it should trigger a dial and update.
>I read the help file and don't particularly like the lurk options.
>If I'm online and it's frequently updating I end up with blocks in
>the buffer never being processed since they're LIFO.

   Windows NT DUN does provide dial-on-demand. I can't remember how to
configure it - I don't trust the system to hang up again afterwards -
I know it will but I don't want to take the chance.
   My preferred option is to use the Windows NT personal proxy. Grab
enough blocks for a few days. Set the client to use 127.0.0.1 (local
host) as a proxy, and manually flush the proxy every few days. NT
handles local IP routing very well, without the dial requests Win'95
generates.

- Stuart Millington                                                 -
-      phupp at wormhole.demon.co.uk      phupp at wormhole.ndirect.co.uk -
- http://www.wormhole.demon.co.uk http://www.wormhole.ndirect.co.uk -
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net