[RC5] LIFO? Is this true?

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Tue May 5 23:19:27 EDT 1998

'Barry Wright' said previously:

| LIFO? Is this true?

Yes.  There was a huge debate about this some time ago, especially as it
applies to time-critical contests (like DES-II) and non-time-critical
contests (RC5-64).

| If so there must be some blocks at the bottom of my buffer which have been
| festering there for weeks.

If you set your buffers much larger than you typically go through between
flushes/fetches, yes.

Since we close out 56-bit subspaces at a rate of one per 6 wks, you'll
probably want to delete your buff-in and set your buffering size to a
smaller size.  (You don't need to worry about blocks being lost by such
a procedure, as long as the client isn't running when you remove the
buff-in.  Read the FAQ if you have any questions on why.)

Regards,

--Joe

--
  +------- Joseph Zbiciak ------+
  |- - - j-zbiciak1 at ti.com - - -|   without you, everything falls apart
  | -Texas Instruments, Dallas- |   without you, it's not as much fun
  |- - #include <disclaim.h> - -|   - NIN -      to pick up the pieces.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net