[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #190

Dustin Puryear dpuryear at usa.net
Wed May 6 03:11:13 EDT 1998

At 09:40 AM 4/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Dustin Puryear wrote:
>
>> [snip, snip]
>> >Netscape was so impressed with this, it convinced them to release its
>> >source code to Communicator for public development... (mozilla.org)  Which
>> >has been a very big hit and very successful.
>>   On the whole Netscape issue - it would be more accurate to say "it
>> remains to be seen if it is a very big hit and very successful." Thank you
>> and have a good night.
>
>Well, actually, it's already been a big hit.... i've seen more press cover
>and excitement on the mozilla project than on any other single software
>project in history...  I mean, have you ever been to a source release
>party with more than 1000 people? (or.. better yet... have you ever heard
>of a "source release party" before?)  But you are correct, success has
>yet to be seen. we should know in June....  First beta is due out then.

  Okay, I'll concede that it has been a "hit" among most of pop computer
culture and some of the industry. So let me rephrase my original response:
it remains to be seen whether Netscape will toast or roast its royal oats
in this little experiment with revenue-critical code. Short and to the
point. <smirk>

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear * dpuryear at usa.net * ICQ 6644253
Computer Science student at LSU - Geaux Tigers!
Help Crack Government Encryption - Join the Bovine Project:
www.distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net