[RC5] Hiding the NT service client

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Thu May 7 07:46:14 EDT 1998

'C Lamothe' said previously:

| 1) If you worked in a large corp. you would know that asking the MIS
|    dept for permission to do anything legit is a major pain in the ass,
|    let alone asking permission to install something working to crack
|    encryption.  I can see the questions now... viruses?, trojans?, mailing
|    "secrets"?...

If you can't convince them up front, then what makes you think that
you'll be able to convince your supervisors when they discover that the
client was added "clandestinely" later?  After all, if the client is
truly harmless, then why did you have to sneak it onto the machines?

| 2) I normally follow "official procedures" even though I am a hacker in a
|    Elec. Engineers body.

That's a pretty good description of myself, too.  :-)  Official
procedures do exist for a reason, though, and overriding them without a
good, defensible business reason is strong grounds for termination in
most businesses.  And, many compensation benefits (things like stock
options, etc.) become null and void if you're terminated with cause.

| 3) I have learned that asking forgivness is easier than asking permission.

That typically works best in a scenario where you're doing something
which ultimately helps the person you'll be begging forgiveness from
later but which doesn't understand that at first.

It doesn't readily apply in more general circumstances.

| 4) The machines are running NT Workstation and are sitting on my/engineers
|    desks - idle 90% of the time not doing critical work.

Why not just run the non-service client from your personal account on
the workstation?  That's what I do.  If these other engineers don't
mind running the client, then they can do this also.  Since it is
running in a normal, unprivileged environment on the box, your MIS dept
shouldn't have anything to complain about.

| 5) I just can't resist all those Pentium II's.

Not a good reason.  It's like walking by the "impulse rack" at the
grocery store, grabbing a handful of snacks and nibbling on them all
without paying, because "I just can't resist all those candy bars."

| A CPU is a terrible thing to waste!

So is a career.

Either get permission from your MIS dept first, or run it like any
other downloadable application from your normal user environment
(provided policy allows for that -- I would be surprised if they're so
anal as to not allow that even).

The last thing D.Net needs is to be labeled as a bunch of irresponsible
crackers that are actively promoting that people violate company policy.

Regards,

--Joe

--
  +------- Joseph Zbiciak ------+
  |- - - j-zbiciak1 at ti.com - - -|   without you, everything falls apart
  | -Texas Instruments, Dallas- |   without you, it's not as much fun
  |- - #include <disclaim.h> - -|   - NIN -      to pick up the pieces.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net