[RC5] LIFO? Is this true?

Ryan Anderson ryan at michonline.com
Fri May 8 00:19:51 EDT 1998

>      It recently struck me that there would be better symmetry if instead
>      of checkpointing, partial blocks were written to the buff-out and
>      blocks in the buff-in weren't deleted until all of their subparts
>      were in the buff-out.  The symmetrical relation is to that of the
>      subspaces not being marked as done until all the little blocks in
>      them are marked as done...  As a coding detail, I would set this up

Wouldn't it be smart to have a separate buff-out for each block?  This way
if you have multiple clients they can each grab a portion of it to work
on, and you can turn around blocks at trmemdnous speeds?

You could configure your fetching/flushing client to grab a block large
enough to occupy all your computers for an hour (in some places, this
could be rather large..)

This would make things scale a little bit better for larger sites and
larger projects..
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net