[RC5] reassigning blocks

WINKELMANS Gunther Gunther.WINKELMANS at is.belgacom.be
Fri May 8 16:20:38 EDT 1998

> Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 00:09:33 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Adam L. Beberg" <beberg at distributed.net>
> Subject: [RC5] [ADMIN] State of distributed.net Address - May 6th, 1998
> In the next 30 hours, the master keyserver will have completely
> assigned all of 0x68, so we will start reassigning the incomplete
> parts of 0x64, do not be alarmed.

Hi,

The above message alarmed me alot!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it means that I have to flush
all my checked block ASAP. And then throw away my buff-in.rc5? (Something
we also were requested to do near the end of the DESII contest when the
"reassigning" announcement was made.)

You see, I don't connect very often to flush & fetch, but I instead I have
my clients running offline for many weeks with buff-in.rc5 files of 1000
blocks and buff-out.rc5 files of +2000 blocks.

Thanks to the reassiging (which I expected to happen only after the ENTIRE
keyspace was handed out, not just a subspace) I now have to flush to avoid
that blocks already checked by me but not yet flushed will be reassigned to
someone else. Also thanks to the LIFO processing I risk checking very "old"
blocks that are being handed out to some else one of these days...

Regards,
Gunther.
Original Text
From: rc5-digest <owner-rc5-digest at llamas.net>, on 8/05/98 1:26:
To: SMTP at MASTER.PER@BELGACOM[<rc5-digest at lists.distributed.net>]

Main body too big. Stored as attachment.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net