[RC5] reassigning blocks

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Fri May 8 18:23:37 EDT 1998

At 03:20 PM 5/8/98 +0200, WINKELMANS Gunther wrote
| > Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 00:09:33 -0500 (CDT)
| > From: "Adam L. Beberg" <beberg at distributed.net>
| > Subject: [RC5] [ADMIN] State of distributed.net Address - May
6th, 1998
| > In the next 30 hours, the master keyserver will have completely
| > assigned all of 0x68, so we will start reassigning the incomplete
| > parts of 0x64, do not be alarmed.
|
| The above message alarmed me alot!
|
| Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it means that I have to
flush
| all my checked block ASAP. And then throw away my buff-in.rc5?
(Something
| we also were requested to do near the end of the DESII contest when
the
| "reassigning" announcement was made.)
|
| You see, I don't connect very often to flush & fetch, but I instead
I have
| my clients running offline for many weeks with buff-in.rc5 files of
1000
| blocks and buff-out.rc5 files of +2000 blocks.

d.net can only keep a few active 56-bit subspaces open at a time.
Currently, the 0x64, 0x66, and 0x68 subspaces have been completely
assigned once, so d.net will be reassigning blocks from the 0x64
subspace.  There probably isn't an urgent need for you to flush all
your clients, however, because it takes a number of weeks (I heard
5-6 weeks on the list recently) to assign all the blocks from one
subspace.  Thus, it's been about 10 weeks since 0x64 blocks have been
handed out.  Unless your clients have been offline longer than that,
you should be fine.

It's probably best to empty your buffers once a month or so just to
be safe, though.
Justin Cave <jocave at mit.edu>

Join eyegive and help raise money for distributed.net
$5,800+ raised so far.
http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1098&MID=3199
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net