[RC5] LIFO? Is this true?

Jim C. Nasby nasby at enteract.com
Mon May 11 00:05:26 EDT 1998

Marc Sissom wrote:<snip>

> Nah, people in general just have too much interest in dupes, stale
> blocks, randoms and bla bla bla. Most of which has no real influence
> on the outcome rc5-64 project. Nothing against thinking mind you,
> I just think that there are a lot of other things that I'd rather
> think about ;-)

Marc-I hope you were kidding here... dupes are a serious issue and will
effect the timeframe of RC5-64, even if it doesn't affect the eventual
outcome. The last time Daa posted stats on our dupe rate, I believe that
something like 40% of the blocks returned were dupes, mostly from old 2.64
clients.This means that our rate would increase by 40% if there were no
dupes. This means that the current estimated time for completion would be
closer to 3 years instead of 6 years.

As has been mentioned in the past, dupe rate and block latency are very
important in timed contests such as DES-II.

So, once again, please do not buffer any more blocks than you need to. We are
doing our best not to re-issue blocks that are less than ~2 months old, but
there really shouldn't be any blocks hanging around that long if it's
avoidable.

Mooo!
dB!
distributed.net Human Interface