[RC5] LIFO? Is this true?

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon May 11 11:27:45 EDT 1998

     This could easily result in a race condition during a flush if more
     than one client detects that a flush should occur.  Both will
     attempt to lock down enough blocks to meet the flush threshold and
     fail because both of them have some of the blocks locked down.
     Either they abort and the race condition is recreated or they hold
     the blocks indefinitely (until one of them has as many blocks as it
     expected to find).
     Putting the buff-out in a separate file simplifies the locking of
     the finished blocks since the entire file can be blocked and the
     partial locking problem can't occur.  Thus, the race condition
     doesn't occur.