[RC5] MSVCRT.DLL missing... why?

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon May 11 14:43:29 EDT 1998

     The answer to your questions are "yes and no" in almost each
     instance.

     MSVCRT: the Microsoft Visual C/C++ Run-Time library

     FIMAIN.EXE was complaining that this file was missing.  This file is
     not distributed on _all_ Win95 installations, but is on some.

     An idiot-proof installer doesn't tell you what's wrong, especially
     if it may require copying or downloading system files, it just
     fails, sometimes with a cryptic message that should be reported to
     the developer.

     You have probably run into the only condition in which this can
     happen.  Almost every program ever written for Win95 has some
     version of this Run-Time library included, even if only to support
     certain GUI objects.  It's hard to determine that this file is
     needed for the installation because there is no development tool
     that doesn't auto-install the DLL...

     If there wasn't a cryptic "this didn't work for reason 34X5*0"
     message, then there should have been.