[RC5] LIFO? Is this true?

Jim C. Nasby nasby at enteract.com
Tue May 12 23:25:21 EDT 1998

Marc Sissom wrote:

> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >
> > Marc Sissom wrote:<snip>

<snip>

>         Do you need a coder for linux alpha???

I'm not sure if we do or not, but I will pass your name along and keep it in my
files as well. Thanks for the offer though! :)

> > So, once again, please do not buffer any more blocks than you need to.
>
> Don't worry, I run through a pproxy here, as I outlined in
> the previous message. I am not a serious duper and I don't
> give a flip about how old the blocks are in the client's
> buffers because our network and hardware are reliable. As
> such the blocks in the in-buffs should be old because they
> never get touched.

Hrm... I don't remember exactly what I wrote, but it sounds like you are doing
your best to minimize the possibility of dupes. That's all we can ask. In your
first message, it sounded like you were blowing off the dupe problem, which is
why I was concerned. I apologize if I ruffled any feathers... :)

> >We are
> > doing our best not to re-issue blocks that are less than ~2 months old, but
> > there really shouldn't be any blocks hanging around that long if it's
> > avoidable.
>
> If our net goes down for a day, the blocks will be consumed and
> then the clients will produce randoms. So for a few hours our
> network might be producing dupes. Then it's back on line and
> all get a fresh set of in-buffs. It's just not worth it Jim, to
> walk around and intrude on everyone's office, lab, or whatever
> and purge the buffers. This stuff is not supposed to be a con-
> sumer of real resources.

<sarcasm>Gee, you don't want to spend all day maintaining the clients? I can't
understand why... :P
</sarcasm>

> I don't know how others feel about this. I imagine that there
> are a wide variety of opinions, but I've tried to volunteer
> for this project many times and gotten nothing but rebuffs if
> I've gotten any response at all. Oh, how I long for the days
> of v1 when I was building autodialing clients for os2 and linux
> with cores produced by Remi G.
>
> Sorry, if all d.n wants is my cpu idle time, that's all it's
> going to get. If it costs a few hours of dupes and randoms
> every three months or so, too bad. That's d.n's choice to make.
>
> The reason that other distributed projects have higher priority
> is because I can do more for them than just pay an electric bill.
>
> Seeya when v3 arrives.

We are working on our 'management team' right now; once it's in place, we will be
able to accomodate a larger number of volunteers.

Mooo!
dB!