[RC5] Dos Client

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Fri May 15 15:59:42 EDT 1998

     Currently, I use batch files on Windows95 to do the following for
     the tower of i386/DOS clients I run:

     1) copy the buff-* files to a Win3.x client directory
     2) launch the Win3.x client to flush and fetch
     3) write the buff-* files, and all other client files to the floppy.

     This way, I can update the *.ini file in one place and the change is
     reflected in every DOS client during the next flush/fetch cycle.
     New clients are installed at that time.

     Unfortunately, the following reasons have necessitated that I can't
     do this any more:
     1) There is no Win3.x client capable of handling current buff-*
     files.
     2) The Win95 client I have (2.7016.400) detects other running
     instances and thus can't be used to fetch and flush if my main
     cracking client is running.
     3) That same Win95 client seems to alter the registry auto-start
     entries to run the same client that was the last one run.

     2) and 3) necessitate that I stop my normal cracking client for the
     couple of hours it takes to fiddle with all the disks.  Then I have
     to remember to explicitly restart it, otherwise, the one running off
     the i386 buffers starts on the next reboot/relogin.

     I'm certainly ready to have a usable Win3.x client as that would
     eliminate all of the current problems with this scheme.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu