[RC5] Dos Client

Dave Avery cwax at pacbell.net
Fri May 15 17:42:12 EDT 1998

On Fri, 15 May 98 14:59:42 -0600, gindrup at okway.okstate.edu wrote:

>     Unfortunately, the following reasons have necessitated that I can't
>     do this any more:
>     1) There is no Win3.x client capable of handling current buff-*
>     files.
>     2) The Win95 client I have (2.7016.400) detects other running
>     instances and thus can't be used to fetch and flush if my main
>     cracking client is running.
>     3) That same Win95 client seems to alter the registry auto-start
>     entries to run the same client that was the last one run.

1) bovine just finished his spring semester and headed home today - I expect a newer
win3.1 (win32s) client will be released soon - for now the win32s beta @
www.distributed.net/betatest.html works OK

2) 3)
the win95 trick is to run the gui client for cracking, and run a separate CLI
client to do your fetch/flush. You can even run the CLI in a separate directory so it
doesn't try and update the GUI clients buffers

dave

Dave Avery                                       cwax at pacbell.net
distributed .net Statistics plotting http://www.distributed.net/statistics
        Flight Simulator hardware and software engineering
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net