[RC5] Personal proxy assistance needed

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun May 17 23:23:59 EDT 1998

Hi all:  I've got a personal proxy that's not connecting
to Distributed.Net.  I need some help in getting it to
connect, or I'd like to know how to flush the buffers
another way.

I'm running an isolated network (two Netware test
servers, one Win95 test computer, one Win31 test
computer) in order to do some testing and development of
a mail system.  I've put these computers to work on RC5,
just 'cos I can.  My own Win95 computer has two NICs, one
to the isolated network with an IP address assigned by
me, the other to the  Corporate network with an IP
address assigned by our Network group.  My computer
doesn't perform any routing, so the isolated network
remains truly isolated.

My computer runs an RC5 client too, which connects nicely
to Distributed.Net through the Corporate firewall on the
second NIC.   It's set to speak HTTP to the firewall
address, and I use a Telnet port and keyserver.

There is also a personal proxy running on it, to which
the computers in the isolated network nicely connect
through the first NIC.  However, I haven't been able to
connect the personal proxy to Distributed.Net with any
combination of firewall or Telnet settings I can think
of.  The idea, of course, is that the proxy speaks to the
downstream clients on the one NIC, but to the upstream
keyservers on the other NIC.

Other applications (Telnet, Ping) are able to find the
appropriate host on either the isolated network or the
Corporate network without trouble.  I think it might help
if I had the IP address of an upstream keyserver rather
than trying to validate a DNS name through the firewall...

The buffers of the personal proxy are building up
rapidly, with several thousand blocks waiting to be
flushed upstream.  It can't fetch new blocks either, so
I've been populating the clients on the isolated net with
buffers I collect using the client on my computer. That's
tedious, and I'd much rather have the personal proxy do
the work...

Any hints or help appreciated!

=====
Bob Jonkman                         SOBAC Microcomputer Services
4 Gold Pine Court                      mailto:bjonkman at sobac.com
Brampton  ON  L6S 2K6  Canada                Voice: 905-793-4537
Networking   --   Office & Business Automation   --   Consulting
Key fingerprint: 9F AF A6 AC B5 67 BC 10 89 73 7C F0 CB 27 03 17
Key ID: AE33E989      mailto:bjonkman at sobac.com?subject=send_key
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net