[RC5] LIFO? Is this true?

Peter Hugosson-Miller pehu at im.se
Mon May 18 17:57:57 EDT 1998

On: Tue, 12 May 1998 "Jim C. Nasby" wrote:

>Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:<snip>
>
>> Look at an implementation:
>> http://lists.distributed.net/hypermail/rc5.Apr1998/0107.html and see
>> that Jim C. Nasby says it has been noted (which I take to mean that
it
>> will be in the next version of the client).
>>

>No, it means that it's been noted... :) Don't expect any buffer format
>changes before v3...it would make everything currently out there
completely
>incompatible if we messed around with the buffer files at this point,
so it
>will almost certainly wait until v3. There are other reasons why it
most
>likely won't make it as well. While it would be nice to have FIFO
client
>buffers right now, I don't think it's worth the effort required to make
that
>a reality before v3 comes around.
>
>Moo!
>dB!

Pity, because the suggested implementation _doesn't_ entail any buffer
format changes, and it would _not_ make anything out there incompatible,
but it _would_ provide true FIFO, for all file systems, with no
performance hit, just by re-using code that already exists in the
clients.

Call me slow, but as long as new v2 clients _are_ still being released,
I just can't see why it isn't worth the effort required, when the effort
is so tiny, and the benefits are so great. Am I missing something? Maybe
FIFO isn't that important after all...

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller

Send some money to distributed.net today. Visit EyeGive:
http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1098&email=hugge@bigfoot.com
Just visiting does good and telling your friends makes it meaningful
"In Windows 95, no one can hear you scream."

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net