[RC5] Which sub-keyspace comes next

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Wed May 20 15:45:30 EDT 1998

     Not unless much has changed sine RC5-64 started.  RC5-64 was chosen
     for a couple of reasons, one of them being that nothing (or at least
     no more than epsilon) would have to be changed in the key
     distribution network.  RC5-72 wouldn't have that property so the
     key-distribution network would have to be overhauled...

     Also, even *I* think RC5-72 is too long to contemplate with the
     current d.net machine.  There would be 65kilo-subspaces to crack.
     Unless the DES attack this June rally increases participation, this
     is *way* out of our league.  I'd quit D.Net if RC5-72 was the next
     contest.

     And, for contrast, I was one of the larger proponents for doing
     RC5-64 when -56 ended.  I saw -64 as still within reach (and current
     keyrate growth is confirming that).  -72 is too far away unless we
     use smarter algorithms.

     Speaking of which, I've seen a preprint that claims to be able to
     reverse a few steps of the encryption phase so that one has a
     (slightly parametric) partially encrypted message.  In principle, if
     three rounds could be removed, keyrates would immediately increase
     by ~33% (because only 3/4 of the work would have to be done) minus a
     little overhead to see if any set of parameters would match.  It's
     still essentially brute-force because one still has to check every
     key, but the amount of work is reduced noticably.

     Anyway...  If RC5-72 were to be started in the next month or two,
     you can bet that I would be working on OGRs and N-OGRs.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu