[RC5] Run vs. RunService

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Mon May 25 13:50:35 EDT 1998

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Stephen J. VanWylen wrote:

> Run vs. RunService
>
> In setting up the client, I am forgetful of what the difference is between
> these, and would like to know so that I can set it up best.  I am just
> trying to de-clutter the start-up folder and can't remember which is which.
> One starts before login to network or something...

First, the registrykeys "Run" and "RunServices" have nothing to do
with the "StartUp" folder.
The client itself puts nothing in the "StartUp" folder, and puts two
identical lines in both "Run" and "RunServices":
Key: BovWin32
Value: "<pathtoclient>\rc5desg.exe -run"

Why both lines? Indeed, one start before login to network (at
computer boot) and the other one as people log on. Don't know why
entries are in both folder, but I do know that you can't leave one of
them out (I once tried removing one of the two keys, but that failed)

By the way, the guiclient has a checkbox for adding these regkeys
("Autolaunch client" or so) and the commandlineinterface (CLI) client
has an option "rc5des -install" or "rc5desh -install" (and -uninstall
of course)

Good luck,

Ivo
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net