[RC5] Latest stats page mods

Richard Ellis rellis at erols.com
Wed May 27 07:26:14 EDT 1998

> > White backgrounds as a GENERAL rule are a BAD idea - please don't
> >follow Mickey$loth's stupid lead in this case.
> >

> Odd, everything that I have read says that dark on dark is a bad idea.

The problem is not that the background is light in and of itself.  The
problem is that it's 100% white, which is way way way too bright for
comfortable reading.  A crt running 100% white background with black text is
equivalent to looking into a lightbulb.  A white sheet of paper with black
text is not reflecting into your eyes the same intensity of light that the
100% white crt is transmitting.

Additionally, 100% white is also the color which is most likely to flicker
if your monitors refresh rate is not fast enough.  The brighter the color,
the easier it is to show flicker.

My complaint is not that the background is white, it's that the background
is white and it's being forced upon us.  If the HTTP source simply did not
set any background at all, then we would each have a choice in the matter.
If you like bright white, you leave your browser set for bright white.  If I
prefer 75% gray, I leave mine set for 75% gray.  That way you get your
bright white without having to look at my 75% gray, and I get my 75% gray
without having to look at your bright white.

I'm simply asking not to have it forced upon us, but to let each individual
choose the background color most comfortable for them.

Rich

ps.  Yes, I know Netscape can force a particular background color, but
Netscape implemented the color choice wrong because it also messes up pages
where darker colors are set.  Instead of being a forced color, it should
have been an intensity clip, so that it would clip all colors with an
intensity above X to X.

--
Microsoft is not the answer.            Boycott Microsoft Home page
Microsoft is the question.              http://www0.vcnet.com/bms

Microsoft: Bringing you ten-year old technology, tomorrow, maybe.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net