[RC5] OS/2 Client Update

dan carter motion at es.co.nz
Thu May 28 11:53:03 EDT 1998

On Tue, 26 May 1998 18:01:49 -0400 (EDT), bmm at plague.minder.net
wrote:

>Or it could be that this core _is_ actually the fastest for the
cpu in
>question.

Yeah that's definatly a possibilty, the K6 core has always been a
bit dodgy, i think i can remember a time when it was actually
faster on my K6 than the others :o>
(I've also heard it mentioned that this K6 problem only affects the
OS/2 client)

However, i don't think that's the situation in this case. I said
"shouldn't it select the K6 core (or the P6" Because Oscar
indicated he had replaced the K6 with the P6 core, cause the P6 was
fastest on a K6.

I always thought P6 meant PentiumPro & PentiumII.

So, if im correct it should:
1) Not imply from benchmarks, but actually detect my K6
2) Tell me it's running the K6 core, but actually run the P6 core.
Or tell me it's running the P6 core.

Unfortuantly it is
1) Telling me its detected a class 4 CPU from AMD
2) Running the AMD 486, Cyrix 6x86/6x86MX/M2 code

As i don't know what a 'class 4 AMD CPU' is, im not sure which step
it is making an error on.

But it's not that big a problem a -c works around the problem for
now.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net