[RC5] OS/2 Client Update

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Thu May 28 13:47:18 EDT 1998

On Wed, 27 May 1998 17:37:52 +1200, dan carter wrote:

>i got the impression it is not doing the old unrelliable benchmark
>method any more but rather actually reading the id from some call
>to the chip.

At least for the win32/dos clients, a true chip detection is being
done.  However, this was not fully implemented/tested until build 403;
so the build 396 OS/2 GUI still does not have this feature yet.

The output of a 403+ should look like this if the detection is being
used:

Beginning CPU identification...
Completed CPU identification. Detected an AMD K6
Selecting AMD K6 optimized code

There is code to detect all the processors made within the last two
years that I'm aware of existing.

I'm certain that even if the 403 OS/2 client doesn't have this
detection, the 405 client will.

x86 UNIX platforms do not yet have the autodetect, however.
Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Tech Support

We cracked RC5-56.  We cracked DES.  Can you help us with RC5-64?
Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net