[RC5] suggestion for the stats

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Nov 2 08:00:15 EST 1998

     The date is probably a good idea.  Check the lower-left corner of
     the page.  Of course, right now it indicates that the last update
     was done at tomorrow, 0000 GMT (i.e. in about 10 hours).

     The probability that the key will be found tomorrow is a statistic
     indicating how many days there are left to go.  If we had a one in
     15 chance of finding the key tomorrow, then there are about 15 days
     to go.

     The current proxy status page
        http://www.distributed.net/rc5/proxyinfo.html
     has a rotating (?) statistic of this form.  When I checked just now
     (19981101, 0754 CST (-600)) the message was "Our total processing
     power is the equivalent of 780998 486DX2/66s".  I've seen it
     expressed in terms of other CPUs.

     Hmm...  I'm not sure that downloading the keyrat graph is a good
     idea.  Perhaps a comparison page to show the stats for the same day
     last week versus yesterday's stats.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu