[RC5] Proper method for importing buff-out files?

John "Chris" Wren jcwren at atlanta.com
Tue Nov 17 18:10:44 EST 1998

	Well, I don't know exactly why you'd find the performance of a
Xeon disappointing.  The fact that it has a meg of *full speed* cache,
as opposed to the 1/2 speed cache of a Pentium II makes for a major
performance advantage.  Every statistic available shows that a 400mhz
seriously outperforms a 450mhz PII, in all cases except where
continous cache faults occur (and even Windows 95 doesn't cause that).
And with the advent of the 450mhz Xeons (Tanner), a PII 400 doesn't
come close.

	And the numbers I gave were using 4 processors, not 2.  As I
mentioned it was running at about 50% of it's rated speed (i.e., about
200 mhz per processor, or a little less).

	While I'm aware of how much time the algorithm spends in
cache, I'm sort of curious what the memory requirement of it is.  In
this particluar system, the memory subsystem is running at a pathetic
66mhz.

	When this system is brought full up, the numbers will be at
least a factor of 2 better (perhaps even close to 3).

	- Chris