[RC5] Interactive jobs detectors

Meelis Roos mroos at cs.ut.ee
Sat Nov 21 15:34:23 EST 1998

>  I would hate to ask my colleague to stop rc5 on our Linux PCs,
>  since I think that using idle CPU time is a good idea.
>  So, I wonder if there is some neat solution to these constraints.
>
>  I remenber having read a discussion about the use of idle
>  Unix computers to prove a graph theory theorem
>   ( 4-color theorem I think ). The author
>  was exposing that the use of "nice" was not adequate and
>  was using yet another method I forgot.

1. There's a script on rc5 website that watches the load average and
suspend the rc5 clients when the load average goes too high and resumes
them when the load drops.

2. There's a patch for linux kernel to add idle scheduler class so the
rc5 client can have _really_ idle priority.

---
Meelis Roos             e-mail: mroos at ut.ee
                        www:    http://www.cs.ut.ee/~mroos/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net