[RC5] Interactive jobs detectors

Bryan Talbot btalbot at ucsd.edu
Fri Nov 20 23:43:13 EST 1998

At 09:25 PM 11/20/98 +0000, Francis Muguet wrote:

loadwatch seems like what you're asking for.  I haven't used this, but it
was announced on this list last month.  Check the archives for:
http://lists.distributed.net/hypermail/rc5.Nov1998/0039.html if you want to
see the original message.  The URL for loadwatch itself is:
ftp://rplay.doit.org/pub/loadwatch/

The Unix program only allows a given client program to run when the machine
load is within a given range.  It sends the client a SIGSTOP when the
machine load goes above a given high water mark, and sends a SIGCONT when
the load returns to a low water mark.

Bryan

>Att: rc5 at lists.distributed.net
>
> Dear distibuted netters,
>
> I seek your help and advice on distributed computing constraints.
>
> A colleague of mine is running rc5 on Linux PCs dedicated
> primarily to teaching.
> I am using also these PCs for my research.
> Research jobs should have of course a high priority over
> rc5, mine are taking at least 40Mb ( 128Mb PC ), and
> should affect in the least possible way
>  student interactive jobs.
> However even with rc5 is running at nice+20, it takes a 20%
> CPU load over my own research jobs which are running at nice+7
>  ( before at nice+10, this was slowing down too much my programs ).
>  But even this nice+7 value is too high if I want not to affect
>  student interactive jobs.
>
> I would hate to ask my colleague to stop rc5 on our Linux PCs,
> since I think that using idle CPU time is a good idea.
> So, I wonder if there is some neat solution to these constraints.
>
> I remenber having read a discussion about the use of idle
> Unix computers to prove a graph theory theorem
>  ( 4-color theorem I think ). The author
> was exposing that the use of "nice" was not adequate and
> was using yet another method I forgot.
>
> The SETI project jobs are going to run as "SreenSavers" as I read
> on their WWW site, and this should constitute a better solution.
> In fact, I just registered to SETIatHome.
>
> Is there any Unix software which can help us in the current
> situation :
>   1/ run only after no interactive activity has been detected
>   for a minute or so.
>   2/ enable to have different level of priority with these
>   "screen savers" jobs or better have
>   "screen savers" of different hierachies..
>   research jobs running after no interactive being active for a while.
>   distributed computing rc5 jobs running only
>   after no research or interactive jobs being active for a while.

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this message, in any
manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the
universe.  Although no liability is implied herein, the reader
is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat
death of the universe.
         "I think not!" said Descartes, who promptly disappeared.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net