[RC5] DES coming...

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Tue Nov 24 14:40:55 EST 1998

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Lothar Kimmeringer wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:50:34 +0100, Andreas Kunz wrote:
>
> >What about starting at the end, in the middle or distributing keys
> >randomly? So the chances to win correspond to the computing-power not
> >to "who's a tick faster".
>
> It doesn't matter, where you start.

	I think the point is not the particular starting point, but assuring
that we're not just cracking the same keys EFF already cracked. For minimum
duplication of effort, if they start at the beginning, we want to start at
the end. If they start at the end, we want to start at the beginning. If
they start with the middle, we want to start with the ends. If they do
random keys, there isn't any real advantage of any particular starting
point, so we might as well start with the beginning, that being what the
clients are already set up to do.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  The test of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net