[RC5] DES coming...

Edwin ten Dam etd at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 26 09:55:47 EST 1998

Thus spoke the keyboard of dbaker at cuckoo.com (25/11/98):
> On 24-Nov-1998, Patrick Coen wrote:
>> Andreas Kunz wrote:
>> >
>> > [...]
>> > -We'd have to find a possibility to switch to DES VERY fast to have a
>> > chance. [...] Can't the clients connect to the keyservers when they
>> > feel it could be time for DES? Or sort of popup-Window for the
>> > not-always-connected Computers: "Hey guy, I think DES started! What
>> > about connecting?".
>> Having all the clients connect at about the same time would create a
>> huge amount of net traffic, wouldn't it ?
>
>  Yep.  Additionally, the keymaster can't generate blocks quickly enough
>  to handle such a load.  At the beginning of DES-II-2, it took it about ~40
>  minutes just to fill the buffers off the proxies.
>
> Daniel

Could we start of by letting clients start work on random blocks in say the
first three hours of the competition? That way we would only have to hand
out the encrypted value and the IV (this still might or might not be a
bottleneck, but would eliminate the need to wait for the keymaster to
generate the keys).

I also think the idea to split the keyspace (or at least start from
opposite ends) between us and EFF is sound. Does anyone know what their
plans are? Ofcourse, they might have increased their capacity enough not to
care about our plans.

cheers,

edwin
-
Edwin ten Dam                                         etd at bigfoot.com
School of Biomedical Sciences       -        University of St Andrews
Biomolecular Sciences Building, North Haugh, St Andrews KY16 9ST U.K.
Phone: +44 1334 463404              -            Fax: +44 1334 462595

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net