Win95 service (was: Re: [RC5] DES-II-3 [LONG] [Repost])

Chris Robinson czrobin at onaustralia.com.au
Wed Sep 2 09:54:24 EDT 1998

Lyndon Drake wrote:

> Just as an aside, I am running the Windows 95 service version of the rc5 client.
> Looking at the logs, it would appear that the client doesn't save the blocks
> in progress when it quits.  Every time the machine is rebooted, two blocks go
> into the bit bucket.  This seems to be a bit of a waste.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution?
>
> Lyndon

Lyndon, the blocks are probably there (we hope) but obviously when the
OS shuts down it isn't sending the WQuit to the application, but instead
simply pulls it's CS memory allocation from the stack.  The shortcoming
could be in the programme or the OS itself.

One solution that comes to mind is to try to find a shutdown daemon and
use that instead of using the windows shutdown.  These daemons
eventually get written for all operating systems, and I'd be surprised
if there isn't one for win95 by now.  Somebody else may be able to
suggest one that they've found.

There's still no guarantee this will work of course, but the ideal
daemon could be set up with a list of applications that need to be
gracefully exited before the shutdown occurs.

Regards,
            Chris.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net