Win95 service (was: Re: [RC5] DES-II-3 [LONG] [Repost])

Steve Bird sbird at UATC.com
Wed Sep 2 11:56:27 EDT 1998

Here's a perfect example..

I'm using the Win32 CLI version on an NT machine running on a P2/266 with
64MB of ram.  This machine is left on 24/7/365.

I get blocks to this machine via sneakernet.

I requested 300 blocks, however, right now it says that the amount of blocks
in the buff-out.rc5 file is 256 and the number of files in the buff-in.rc5
file is 40.  I know that the client works on 2 blocks simultaneously,, but
what happened to the other 2 blocks??

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Chris Robinson [mailto:czrobin at onaustralia.com.au]
		Sent:	Wednesday, September 02, 1998 6:54 AM
		To:	rc5 at lists.distributed.net
		Subject:	Re: Win95 service (was: Re: [RC5] DES-II-3
[LONG] [Repost])

		Lyndon Drake wrote:

		> Just as an aside, I am running the Windows 95 service
version of the rc5 client.
		> Looking at the logs, it would appear that the client
doesn't save the blocks
		> in progress when it quits.  Every time the machine is
rebooted, two blocks go
		> into the bit bucket.  This seems to be a bit of a waste.
		>
		> Can anyone suggest a solution?
		>
		> Lyndon

		Lyndon, the blocks are probably there (we hope) but
obviously when the
		OS shuts down it isn't sending the WQuit to the application,
but instead
		simply pulls it's CS memory allocation from the stack.  The
shortcoming
		could be in the programme or the OS itself.

		One solution that comes to mind is to try to find a shutdown
daemon and
		use that instead of using the windows shutdown.  These
daemons
		eventually get written for all operating systems, and I'd be
surprised
		if there isn't one for win95 by now.  Somebody else may be
able to
		suggest one that they've found.

		There's still no guarantee this will work of course, but the
ideal
		daemon could be set up with a list of applications that need
to be
		gracefully exited before the shutdown occurs.

		Regards,
		            Chris.