Win95 service (was: Re: [RC5] DES-II-3 [LONG] [Repost])

Lyndon Drake lyndon at kcbbs.gen.nz
Thu Sep 3 22:10:33 EDT 1998

Hi,

That's exactly what happens to me (except that the machines in question
are rebooted at least once a day).  I've checked fairly carefully, and
the number of blocks in buff-in decreases without a corresponding increase
in buff-out if the machine is rebooted frequently.

Reading through the FAQ, it seems that this is, as you suggest, a Windows
problem.  The answer is to use a checkpoint file (which can't be shared
between computers).  The length of time between checkpoints determines
how much is lost (and the checkpoint means that the lost stuff is just
redone, instead of being gone forever).

Lyndon

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net