[RC5] Dual-PII with W98 ?

Matthew Toseland Matthew.Toseland at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 4 19:46:48 EDT 1998

On Fri, 04 Sep 1998, you wrote:
>On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:11:24 +0200, Dominique Bugmann wrote:
>
>>Can i run a Dual-PII (based on an AsusBoard) with W98, so that the
>>CLIENT use the
>>second CPU?
>
>Nope.  You will have to get a real OS to do that.  Warp Server,
>WinNT, Linux, or perhaps BeOS(not sure on this one).  DOS shells can
>only support on processor.
I think he meant so that only the client runs on CPU #2 - hence we don't
necessarily (theoretically) need a decent OS, we "only" need to access the
hardware directly, load it on the second CPU with a stub OS, in a locked chunk
of RAM, and look back at this RAM occasionally to flush the buffers... of
course without source for either the client or the OS, it's damn near
impossible - ask Caldera ;)... slightly off this topic, are there any new
SuperSocket7 motherboards that support OpenPIC so you can have two M II / 333s
(or 350s when they come out - 300MHz core!)?  I know it would be shite for RC5,
but it would be pretty amazing on anything else, and good value even for RC5 -
and the support is in the Linux kernel already.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net