[RC5] Linux as gateway.

Phil Gregory pgreg430 at neors.cat.cc.md.us
Fri Sep 4 19:09:30 EDT 1998

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is more of a Linux problem than an rc5 problem, but maybe one of
> you out there has had this problem.  I have an IBM RS6000 F50 running
> aix 4.2 on a network that is connected to the internet through a PC
> running Linux and masquerading.  If I ping us.v27.distributed.net (or
> whatever it is) from the RS then everything works, but if I try to run
> rc5des the comms fails, and if I try to ping on port 2046 (or whatever)
> then the ping also fails.  Has anyone got any ideas how I can fix or at
> least trace the fault.

Well, if you have control of the Linux machine (or if the admin will let
you), you can run a personal proxy on it and have the clients connect to
that.  Otherwise, try setting the client to go through port 80 or 23 (web
or telnet).  If none of that works, you can get and send blocks manually
via e-mail.  I don't remember the details of that, but I'm pretty sure
it's in the FAQ.

                                ---------------
I don't understand why you need explicit sequence numbers in a
reliable transport connection.  Are you afraid one of the computers
can't count reliably?
                       --Bob Scheifler
                                 Phil Gregory
                                     DNRC