[RC5] Dual-PII with W98 ?

Daryl Baker daryl at darlyb.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 5 03:04:23 EDT 1998

>>Nope.  You will have to get a real OS to do that.  Warp Server,
>>WinNT, Linux, or perhaps BeOS(not sure on this one).  DOS shells can
>>only support on processor.
BeOS does support multiprocessor.

>I think he meant so that only the client runs on CPU #2 - hence we don't
>necessarily (theoretically) need a decent OS, we "only" need to access the
>hardware directly, load it on the second CPU with a stub OS, in a locked chunk
>of RAM, and look back at this RAM occasionally to flush the buffers... of
>course without source for either the client or the OS, it's damn near
>impossible - ask Caldera ;)... slightly off this topic, are there any new
>SuperSocket7 motherboards that support OpenPIC so you can have two M II / 333s
>(or 350s when they come out - 300MHz core!)?  I know it would be shite for RC5,
>but it would be pretty amazing on anything else, and good value even for RC5 -
>and the support is in the Linux kernel already.
I thought of this myself, the APIC manual is available from Intels dev
site, so you could theoretically write something to load a program
onto the second processor etc.  I have the doc but not looked at it in
great depth.  Me, I opted for an easy life and run NT4 :)

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net