[RC5] IP Muliticasting

Ray Vanlandingham rayvan at javanet.com
Thu Sep 10 14:40:23 EDT 1998

From: Eric Wikman <eric at wikman.com>

>If we need a low bandwidth system for sending out the cipher text
>and IV when DES 3 starts, I suggest we use IP multicasting.  Go
>http://www.zdnet.com/products/content/articles/199801/isp.multica
>st/ for more info.

Unfortunately, lots of routers still don't support IGMP, so we'd still need
a backup method. Multicasting would be perfect for announcing the beginnings
and ends of contests, tho...you could eventually add things like messages
for the client to notify the user that a new version is available, etc.

Ray Vanlandingham (rayvan at javanet.com)

Page me on ICQ! My number is 3539897.
Logon to wierdness at Otaku! telnet://otaku.godlike.com:6251/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net