[RC5] IP Muliticasting

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Sep 14 15:07:40 EDT 1998

     Why has this turned into an all or none discussion?  Getting some
     clients started immediately would be vastly moer productive than not
     doing so.

Subject: Re: [RC5] IP Muliticasting
Author:  <rc5 at lists.distributed.net> at SMTP
Date:    9/10/98 7:31 PM

"Ray Vanlandingham" <rayvan at javanet.com> writes:
> >If we need a low bandwidth system for sending out the cipher text
> >and IV when DES 3 starts, I suggest we use IP multicasting.  Go
> >http://www.zdnet.com/products/content/articles/199801/isp.multica
> >st/ for more info.
>
> Unfortunately, lots of routers still don't support IGMP, so we'd still need
> a backup method. Multicasting would be perfect for announcing the beginnings
> and ends of contests, tho...you could eventually add things like messages
> for the client to notify the user that a new version is available, etc.

Well, you might be able to find volunteers to set up multicast routing
tunnels, but that doesn't do much for someone stuck on the other side
of an ISP that doesn't support IGMP and they also can't join a tunnel
due to lack of software support.

-Dave

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net