[RC5] NT Performance Problems

douglas at dragonball.org douglas at dragonball.org
Mon Sep 14 20:55:24 EDT 1998

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Chris Robinson wrote:

> Chris DiPierro wrote:
> >
> > I've been using the latest client on NT on a Pentium/166 for a while now,
> > and for the most part it's fine. When I'm using the system and have the
> > client set to niceness 0, it gets around 206kkey/sec. And until recently
> > when I left it overnight (lock the machine /w a pw, but no screen saver)
> > it had been doing just fine (I also up the niceness to 2). However,
> > recently, it's been slowing down to 15kk/sec (yes 15) in this overnight
> > state. I haven't messed with screen savers or power management or
> > anything. I suspect something's eating CPU cycles (some zombie or
> > something), but is there any way to log what Task Manager would see at a
> > given time to prove this?

If you want to see what is going on I'd recommend using the Performance
Manager instead of the Task Manager. If want Performance Manager to have
minimal impact on the performance of the machine set it to a low update
frequency(ie., 1/min or maybe even lower) and you can even have
Performance Manager run on another computer on the network and that will
keep about everything except network impact to a minimum.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net