[RC5] Quick positive press effort

Jason Stratos Papadopoulos jasonp at Glue.umd.edu
Tue Sep 22 08:31:00 EDT 1998

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Eric Gindrup wrote:

>      Not that finding digits of \pi is intrinsically more insteresting
>      than cracking encryption challenges, but the press doesn't seem to
>      be so much prejudiced against the process.
>             -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at Okway.okstate.edu

>From personal experience (and I don't feel this way, in fact I've been a
hardcore digit hunter for years), when most people I know hear about the
latest pi crunching record they think "What a bunch of geeks. If only they
did something serious".

Is this the image that d.net desires? Yes, I know; as Richard
Feynmann(sp?) put it, "What do *you* care what other people think?"
But then maybe we shouldn't.

jasonp

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net