[RC5] Quick positive press effort

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Wed Sep 23 18:51:08 EDT 1998

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Jason Stratos Papadopoulos wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Eric Gindrup wrote:
>
> >      Not that finding digits of \pi is intrinsically more insteresting
> >      than cracking encryption challenges, but the press doesn't seem to
> >      be so much prejudiced against the process.
> >             -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at Okway.okstate.edu
>
> >From personal experience (and I don't feel this way, in fact I've been a
> hardcore digit hunter for years), when most people I know hear about the
> latest pi crunching record they think "What a bunch of geeks. If only they
> did something serious".

I remember a thread called "Sexy projects", and I'm sure pi-digits
(in HEX???) are definitely NOT sexy....
OGR rulers in  contrary... There are even OGR-21 necklaces. Imagine picking
up a girl with "I know that the xxxth digit of pi is zero" or, "I
think this OGR-necklace will look very very good on you".

Ivo

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net