[RC5] Multiple Clients sharing

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Wed Sep 23 11:10:36 EDT 1998

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:38:18 -0700, Jeff Shepherd wrote:

>[ If this isn't the correct list to be posting a question like this to,
>please let me know at <jeff at trg.saic.com>. /js ]
>
>I have a unix cluster with a number of machines using a common disk area.
>It is pretty obvious I can share the executable, and perhaps even the .ini
>file it reads.  But what about the buff-in and buff-out files?  I'd love to
>have a single NFS-mounted rc5des directory and have all the machines simple
>run that executable.  However, I'm thinking I might need a directory for
>each machine so each machine has it's own buff-in and buff-out files that
>are specified via the -in and -out arguments.
>
>- Jeff -

That's perfectly acceptable, just try not to start/shut down all the
clients at the same time if you do so.  Our locking mechanism isn't
perfect, and NFS's caching mechanism causes it to fail when large
numbers of NFS clients access the buffers at the same time (which will
only happen if all boxes start/shutdown at once, in reality.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Technical Support / Programming

Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net