[RC5] "Dead" contributors

Stuart Smith stu72 at home.com
Fri Sep 25 09:49:44 EDT 1998

>On another note, would be interesting to run the numbers on our "dead" >as
>it were, or those who joined up for a time, cranked out blocks, then
>vanished. Maybe call a "dead" individual 3 months inactive for the >study
>once fall kicks in(to rule out those who claim to have lives and went >away
>for the summer) . See what the breakdown is for the dead. If the >majority
>are one block wonders, or who ran a normal course, then just faded out.
>Would go to make a better model if you figured attrition rates and >stats.

On another note - to help increase distributed.net power, how about an
automated reminder to those who haven't contributed blocks in x weeks,
or x% longer than they usually take.  I'm sure there are people who
reinstalled windows (or whatever os they use), nuked rc5 and never
bothered, or forgot to reinstall it.  A gentle reminder, with download
links, might get some people back on board.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net