[RC5] "Dead" contributors

Darin Cowan dcowan at ermine.ca
Fri Sep 25 16:04:50 EDT 1998

> >On another note - to help increase distributed.net power, how about an
> >automated reminder to those who haven't contributed blocks in x weeks,
> >or x% longer than they usually take.  I'm sure there are people who
> >reinstalled windows (or whatever os they use), nuked rc5 and never
> >bothered, or forgot to reinstall it.  A gentle reminder, with download
> >links, might get some people back on board.
>
> That would be spamming no matter how "gentle" the reminder would be.
> There are probably thousands of unactive emails in d.net databases,
> and they surely wouldn't be happy to receive another mail.

I've thought this for a while, and since the subject is current...

All those inactive "participants" (that's kind of an oxymoron) should
be deleted from the stats database.  Their completed blocks could be added
to a "Ghosts" team or something, but I see no need to clutter up the bottom
two thirds of the stats list with the inactive folks.

Maybe we should vote on it :>

Darin Cowan
http://www.ermine.ca/~dcowan
This is the end, my only friend the end.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net