[RC5] "Dead" contributors

Nicolas Fournier foun01 at gel.usherb.ca
Fri Sep 25 18:58:22 EDT 1998

> >On another note - to help increase distributed.net power, how about an
> >automated reminder to those who haven't contributed blocks in x weeks,
> >or x% longer than they usually take.  I'm sure there are people who
> >reinstalled windows (or whatever os they use), nuked rc5 and never
> >bothered, or forgot to reinstall it.  A gentle reminder, with download
> >links, might get some people back on board.
>
> That would be spamming no matter how "gentle" the reminder would be.
> There are probably thousands of unactive emails in d.net databases,
> and they surely wouldn't be happy to receive another mail.

I strongly disagree with your point.  I don't think receiving one e-mail
in 3 month ( if you are inactive )or maybe in 6 months ( not to bother
too much ) would be spamming.  And If you're not sure, you can put a
checkbox in the Edit Participant Information Page (that is checked by
default), so you give the choice to not receive that e-mail.  So if
someone is offended by that kind of e-mail, he will never receive that
e-mail because he unchecked in his Participant Info, or he will receive
that e-mail once because it was cleary written in the e-mail how to
unsubscribe.  I really don't call this spam.  I am very interested in
what ohter people think of that...

Nicolas Fournier
foun01 at gel.usherb.ca

University Of Sherbrooke