[RC5] beowulf & rc5des

Clay Autery cautery at cnetech.com
Thu Apr 1 11:47:26 EST 1999

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Vasilios Hoffman wrote:
>
> > Has anyone ported a rc5 client to a beowulf/MPI/PVM environment yet?
>
> This isn't needed -- the rc5 client is already distributed
> and very lean on memory usage.

Is memory usage really the issue in porting to a Beowulf type app?  I agree the
current core (task) is very fine grained, but I can't help but think that there
is a way to construct a cracking core that will gain enough in keyrate to
overcome the overhead introduced by parallelizing the task.  Maybe it can't be
done with the current client, but I'm almost sure it can be done.  In any event,
we are building a COW dedicated to RC5 using Linux and the current client.  It
should be a killer.  I'm expecting the first 24 processors to arrive today. (now
of course, this is just my opinion... and is based solely on gut instinct, since
I am NOT a programmer.)  :)